What a muddle I've been in with girls, in spite of all my headaches, insomnia, grey hair, despair. Let me count them: there have been at least six since the summer. I can't resist, my tongue is fairly torn from my mouth if I don't give in and admire anyone who is admirable and love her until admiration is exhausted. With all six my guilt is almost wholly inward, though one of the six did complain of me to someone.
June 2, 1916
1. "Ward, part 1," The Sunday Times Magazine, February 18.
2. "Ward, part 2," The Sunday Times Magazine, February 25 and March 4.
3. "The Kalabaw Caper," Philippine Graphic, April 16.
4. "Woman 19," Story Philippines, volume one of 2007.
5. "The Ivory Spear," The Sunday Times Magazine, April 22.
6. "Seals," Philippine Graphic, April 30.